I tried this recipe of Barefoot Contessa "Food network"". I transformed the recipe to make it low fat because I like eating healthy. This is the best shrimp soup I ever have. Try it!!!!
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 4 cups seafood stock (I used water)
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil ( 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (3 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (3 cloves)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy (I used Brandy)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry ( I used white wine)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (I used 2 tbsp of butter)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half (I used fat free half and half)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste ( I used only 2 tbsp of tomatoe paste)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the shrimp shells and seafood stock (I used water) in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve the stock. Add enough water to make 3 3/4 cups.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the leeks and cook them for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, or until the leeks are tender but not browned. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the cayenne pepper and shrimp and cook over medium to low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the Cognac and cook for 1 minute, then the sherry and cook for 3 minutes longer. Transfer the shrimp and leeks to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until coarsely pureed.
In the same pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the half-and-half and cook, stirring with a whisk, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the pureed shrimp, the stock, tomato paste, salt, and pepper and heat gently until hot but not boiling. Season, to taste, and serve hot.