Curried butternut soup
I made this soup a week ago. I didn’t have time to take a picture of it but wanted to write it down so I don’t forget it.
To peel and cut easily the butternut squash I microwave it for 5 min. Try it and you will see.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium butter, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a medium soup pot, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the sliced butternut, sliced onion and grated ginger, cover and cook over moderately high heat for about 8 minutes, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until just beginning to soften. Add stock and curry powder to the vegetables and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cover and cook the soup over moderate heat until butternut and onions are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender. Return the soup to the soup pot. Stir in the heavy cream and chopped cilantro and season the carrot soup with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in shallow bowls.